Thursday, January 14, 2016

Becoming Famous - Take THAT, Cancer!



Over the last few days, there has been a flood of social media posts in tribute to David Bowie, and now today, to Alan Rickman and René Angelil, (husband of Celine Dion), all taken too soon by that hateful beast, cancer.

Had any of them been an average Joe, and not a rock legend, or one of the greatest movie villains of our time, or a music managing genius who had the good fortune to marry the greatest singer he would ever have the privilege to know, it's probable that nobody would be talking about them. Cancer steals loved ones from us every day. But because THESE cancer victims are famous, and have all touched our lives in one way or another, everyone feels their loss. We're all in mourning.

So I found it ironic when I read the story of Dorian Murray, who has battled cancer for half of his eight years, and who has expressed a wish to become famous BEFORE his cancer defeats him. So I thought, we're not talking about his cancer because he WAS ALREADY famous. He's becoming famous because he has cancer.

And then I thought, "Well, that's a crappy way to think of it!"

No. I don't want to talk about this amazing, brave, strong boy because his doctors have run out of treatment options for his cancer. I don't want to remember his wish to be famous as "his dying wish". I want to help a young boy realize a dream, and I want to always remember his name because even after all he's been through, and even in the face of what comes next, this beautiful boy is smiling. Barring some miracle, he will never grow up and have the chance to show us all he can do, so he wants the chance to know we all will remember his name because he fights the good fight. His chance at growing up to live a great life is being stolen from him, but he is great, right now.

I have a family member who was diagnosed with cancer when she was 9 months old. Her mom traveled to wherever she had to go, just to get her the best care and treatment that was available. It was an exhausting trauma, but her mom never flinched. And I remember hearing my mother talk to her on the phone, asking her, "How are you holding it together? If it was one of my children, I don't think I could go through all this without falling apart." And I will never forget what she said to my mother.

"Every day with her is a gift. If God chooses to take her back, I will be grateful for every day I was allowed to have her in my life."

I was 14 years old when I overheard that conversation and it has always stood out in my mind, whenever I have had hardships to face. My own struggles have blessedly never come close to such a trauma, and for that, I am grateful. And that 9 month old baby with cancer is now 40, and lost her mom to cancer a few years ago. And every day they had together was a gift.

I have seen too many people claimed by the beast. I watched a friend bury 2 of his 6 children and his wife, all victims of cancer. And I see him rejoice in ever having been given the privilege to love them.

So as I look at photos of the smiling face of Dorian Murray, I think of how difficult it must be for his parents to accept the end of a battle they have all fought so fiercely. How do we help them as they cherish every moment they are blessed with this courageous child? We grant his wish.

Tomorrow, Friday the 15th of January, there is a plan to ensure the world will always remember the brave, strong, always smiling Dorian Murray. Wherever you are, whether or not your life has ever been touched by cancer, take a picture of yourself or your loved ones, and post it with a sign of your location. Let's show Dorian every corner of the universe his story has touched. Let's not wait to talk about a boy who "used to be", but let's all celebrate the amazing boy who IS. Click and post. It won't even cost a thing. And don't forget the hashtag #dStrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment