Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Happy Birthday, Samara!

Social media is kind of magical. We're connected to the universe and somehow we encounter people we might never have had an opportunity to know. I have made friends from all over the globe. It always manages to blow my mind.

And then, we may also connect with folks who have always been right in our own back yard, but we have never managed to find. That's magic, too. 

We both grew up in New York. We are both divorcing. We are both single moms. We are both smart. We are both pretty badass. 

And we live five minutes apart. 

Five. 

Minutes. 

I'm a little older than she is. She is the same age as my sister, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that we could've crossed paths. But we didn't. Not until a certain PunkRockPapa brought us together. 

It's comical to think of myself as a punk in my fifties. But in lots of ways, I've always been a punk. I don't follow the crowd. I don't follow the rules. Marching to the beat of my own drum? How about dancing, instead? However I need to fly in a given moment, that's how I'll fly. Maybe her own free spirit is what I love about her:) It's why I'm drawn to her. 

There are lots of ways we are completely different. There are so many life experiences she has conquered, both good and bad, that I was never attracted to, or I never had the chances she had. When she writes about all she has experienced and survived, I find myself enthralled by every word. Some of her life stories lead to controversial conversations, and whether or not she realizes it, that's a positive contribution to "changing the world". When we talk about the hard stuff, it makes people think. It makes people discuss. That's how we make changes for the good. 

While we seem to have made a really great connection, and I feel like I have made a really good friend, I'm still waiting for the chance to meet her. Trust is a hard thing to give away when it has been trampled all your life. I know that story all too well. But I have never allowed that lesson to crush the possibility of remaining open to making new connections...to treasuring friendship. I hope she someday allows herself to be open to a cup of coffee with a friend. 

In the meantime, I'd like to wish my friend Samara the very happiest of birthdays! My birthday wish is that she always knows she is loved, and that she believes with all her heart, she is worthy of all that love. http://new.inlinkz.com/view.php?id=560830

7 comments:

  1. I just danced around my kitchen to this song at full blast.
    Twice.

    I love this song.
    And you.
    How about, we meet for coffee next week? Dunkin Donuts, or Starbucks?

    Did I tell you I love you? It bears repeating.
    xoxox,
    Samara

    ReplyDelete
  2. But 5 minutes?! You have to meet her, and hug her for me because I'm so very, very far away. :)

    I love the song choice... it's full of Samara-y goodness.
    And I love the message of the post, too... you kinda sound like a rockstar to me. :)

    (I was so determined to comment as Rarasaur that I almost lost this comment tfive times! It's not the most articulate comment ever, but it's mine, so I'm gonna let go of the name thing. This is me. Letting go of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she manages to squeeze me in, I'll be sure to give her extra hugs for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If she manages to squeeze me in, I'll be sure to give her extra hugs for you:)

    ReplyDelete