Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Bunker Punk Tour


What is your most prized possession? 

Hmmmm...I don't really value "stuff". I'm really wracking my brain over this one. Nope...what really matters to me are the people. My people. My kids, above all else. My family, of course. My friends. My dog💗. I guess if I absolutely HAVE TO name a possession, it would have to be my home. In spite of the difficult associations that are now attached to it, this house is really HOME for the kids and me. Maybe not for much longer, but it will always hold my heart. 

How do you unwind after a long day?

That's really all you need to know. 

What is one song that has followed you throughout your whole life?

The Sound of Music is my favorite movie of all time. (I know...pretty nerdy for a badass...) I had the soundtrack album as a child, and probably wore a deep groove into it on my old record player. I knew every word, every note, and every scene that went along with it all. I could even yodel along about a goatherd. 

As a teen, when I began to believe that "true love" was the only thing that would ever define me, I often thought of "Something Good"...the love song, sung between Maria and Captain Von Trapp. I always thought that someday, I would find my "Captain"...my reward for doing "something good", in spite of anything I might have done that wasn't so good. I fell in love easily, and every time my mind would bring me back to that hope...that THIS was my reward. This love. Of course, it was all a load of crap. As each heartbreak left me believing less and less in "rewards" and "true love", the song eventually stopped playing in the back of my head. Current circumstances had all but killed any hope I may once have had of finding that reward.

So, recently, when The Sound of Music was aired on television, my mom called to remind me to watch it. It didn't matter that I own the movie...my mom is the "reminder" of all things, so knowing how much I love the movie, she called. I rolled my eyes, thanked her, and 10 minutes later I found
myself tuning in and singing along. (Such a nerd!) And when it came time for that touching scene...the one in the pretty, glass gazebo where they finally connect...I started to sing along. And as I sang, I looked across the room at my daughter and realized, it was never about a man. It's all about my kids. My three reasons for breathing are the only reward I would ever need. And it's a lovely realization to come to..."Somewhere in my wicked, miserable past, I must've done something good."

If you could give one piece of advice to new bloggers in your field, what would it be?

That's an easy one. Write about what makes you feel. Anything. Happy, sad, worried, scared, broken...if you feel it, chances are good that someone else has felt it too. Somewhere in me is a ranting post about the anger I feel every time I put a new tablecloth on the kitchen table, and my little tween treasure manages to destroy it within a day by knocking over a bottle of nail polish. EVERY...DAMNED...TIME!!! May sound ridiculous, but somewhere out there, somebody knows exactly what I'm talking about. And if writing isn't about finding a way to connect over the human condition, (small and insignificant as a thought may seem), then I just don't know why else it could matter.

Now that you're famous, we need a quote from you.

Nobody else is ever responsible for the choices we make. If I screw up, I will own it, make amends, and take responsibility for my words and my actions. I can't hope my kids will grow up to be decent people if I don't set a decent example. ~ Honey Badger



6 comments:

  1. I too love the Sound of Music. No yodeling though. That's for dorks (LOL). Loved it, you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post makes my answers to the same questions seem so irresponsible and flippant. Wait, I am irresponsible and flippant.... :):) <3

    ReplyDelete